Tuesday, July 1, 2008

First Trip Across the Sound - Brownsville to Seattle - July 28th, 2008

After our first experience last weekend we were all on guard and amped up for another intense series of events on this weekend's trip. We had to make it from the Brownsville Marina to Fisherman's Wharf near Seattle. Since this meant waking up at 5am to hit the tides right most of the potential crew mates Deetz invited turned us down, but the ever faithful Delicate Dan signed up without hesitation. Somehow we kept Deetz from drinking all the whiskey on the boat and we got to bed early. Dan forgot to bring blankets so we let him sleep inside this time and wrapped him up in the sail bag, some seat covers, and other assorted items. We all slept poorly and woke up confused and tired.

There was no wind at 5am as the sun came up so we were forced to motor north out of the bay, through the narrow Agate Pass, and into the sound. Once on th sound there was an easy breeze and we were able to make it to the entrance to the locks on a beam reach (90 degrees to wind) on the same tack (no need to change direction and adjust sails). It was super easy and mellow; a strong contrast to the madness from the prior trip. Seals came by to check us out from time to time and we saw a school of porpoises. Mt. Ranier was enormous in the distance next to the Seattle skyline and Mt. Baker to the north was easy to see all white with the cover of glaciers. Puget Sound is a uniquely beautiful place to sail. Deetz ordered swigs from the flask at about 8:30am. I thought this to be a little abnormal but who am I to question the captain!

We approached the locks and waited by a sea wall for our turn to go through. "All boats, north wall, port side. Have your 50 ft lines ready," came blasting over the loud speaker. This is when we all realized that we had no clue about the procedure to go through the locks. As Deetz steered us towards the locks we frantically started tying together lengths of 10 ft dock lines to get as close as possible to what they needed. It ended up being no big deal, they helped us through it all as we fumbled around with bumpers and lines and such. Actually, I was suprised at how friendly they were. "Beginning flood," they announced as the giant doors shut behind us and fresh water rushed in lifting us and two other boats to the level of the channel and lake.

We docked at Fisherman's Wharf north of Ballard at around 10:15am and went and got some breakfast. After a short nap we headed down the channel farther east to meet up with a friend of Steven's. As usual, someone stranded with motor problems needed Super Deetz to save the day. Along the way we got to use our air horn twice to signal (one short and one long) the draw bridge to open. It was fun being the jerks in the sailboat for a change causing thousands of people in cars above to suddenly deal with horrible traffic problems. After Deetz fixed the diesel engine on the yacht and the group of 12 or so finished applauding him we met up and tied off near the University of Washington. Kate, Kris, and Vesla met up with us later and we finished the day swimming and lounging in the sun.




View Larger Map

1 comment:

Travis said...

I gotta tell ya, man, you didn't really have me until I saw the slide show. And you know I'm a gettin-up-at-5am-for-an-adventure kind of guy. The sun rising over the sound with you guys on a glorious fucking sailboat... well... I got chills.

We need to plan ourselves a little adventure, my friend.